The end of another year means it’s time for our annual project highlight + recap post! How many of these were you around for??
Last December I felt like we had really fallen short of our project goals for the year, so this year I made a point to adjust (ahem, considerably lower) expectations accordingly. We didn’t get as much done this year in terms of completed projects, but I also don’t feel quite as overwhelmed, and mental health is priority #1.
Over the past year, we were able to slow down and spend more time with our baby (now almost a big girl!) which I’m immensely grateful for—and yet somehow 2021 flew by and left me feeling a bit disoriented. To be 100% honest, I’m not entirely sure what my goals and intentions are for 2022. Last year I had a clear path and was excited to tackle new projects, but I’m just not there right now. Anyone else still in a fog from 2021?
Despite this end-of-year uncertainty, I can look back and say that I’m pretty proud of what we’ve accomplished. Let’s recap the highlights and noteworthy projects of 2021:
1. Playroom Reveal / January
2. DIY Feather ‘Chandelier’ / January
3. DIY Frame TV / January
4. Better Homes & Gardens shoot at the Riverside Retreat / February
5. Riverside Retreat Before/After Video Tour / February
6. DIY Framed Tapestry / February
7. DIY Faux-Real Indoor Tree / February
8. The Big Garage Makeover: Part 1 / March
9. A French Bistro-inspired Patio Update / March
10. DIY Bedroom Closet Reveal / April
11. How to Paint Cabinets Tutorial / April
12. DIY ‘Stone’ planters / April
13. We bought a House! / May
14. Hacienda Hideaway Backyard Plans / June
15. Evening Home Tour Part 1 and Part 2 / July
16. DIY Electric Fireplace / July
17. DIY Concrete Lamps / July
18. Q&A: Ask Jenna + Lucas / August
19. DIY Range Hood / August
20. Hacienda Hideaway Kitchen Kickoff / August
21. Fall Home Tour Part 1 and Part 2 / September
22. A Spooky Chic Heights House / October
23. Our Holiday Tablescape / November
24. DIY Wood Beam Ceiling / November
25. Hacienda Hideaway Flooring Install / November
26. Holiday Home Tour Part 1 and Part 2 / December
And now—my favorite part!—a few stats from 2021:
- Most page views: DIY Frame TV
- Most comments: We bought a house!
- Favorite on Instagram: Closet Reveal
- Lucas’s favorite project: DIY Range Hood
- Jenna’s favorite project: DIY Wood Beam Ceiling
I’d love to know: what was your favorite post/project this year?
While I’m still sorting out my personal goals for 2022, there’s a long list of house projects we plan to tackle, and I’ll share all of those in my next post to kick off the new year (along with a reader poll to get your feedback!)
As always, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here through the ups and downs of life and cheering us on. I’m looking forward to seeing what this next year has in store!
Kim K says
Your home is stunning. It’s really design forward without being overly trendy. I’m obsessed with the tartan floor tiles in your guest bathroom and the gorgeous crown molding in Esme’s room. Having installed a lot of crown myself, my brain hurts just thinking about lining up the tricky lattice pattern while figuring out the correct miter and bevel while taking into account ceilings that aren’t perfectly level and walls that aren’t perfectly plumb. Amazing work.
Jenna Sue says
Ohh man, I was ready to give up on that crown molding and was convinced it would never work! Lucas truly pulled off a miracle and has felt so much more confident with challenging DIYs since that project.
Brian Mcclellan says
Jenna Sue, your work is creative, clean, & inspiring. Your presentation delivery is amazing. I am in my mid 50’s, having been a Design/Builder most of my life, in need of a rebirth to better fit in with today’s community. We have been remodeling our 1941 Carolina home in Charlotte.
Jenna Sue says
Thank you so much Brian, I appreciate the kind words and am glad you are here!
Loved following along as Lucas built the diy range hood. Also loved your bedroom closet project! I particularly enjoy reading your blog posts – wonderfully written! Looking forward to inspiration in the year ahead!
Nothing about this blogpost felt like a slow year! I love that you prioritize family time and I hope you keep things real about what you can and are willing to accomplish! You’re very engaged with your followers and do good content. It’s not a race or competition (though it probably feels that way in your industry). Keep up the good work. I enjoy following.
Jenna Sue says
That means so much, Jen! It’s tough to gauge where we “should” be because I only have other bloggers/RE investors to compare to. As long as we are happy and at peace, that’s all that matters at the end of the day! Hope you have a wonderful 2022 🙂
Becky King says
I’m always in awe of your imagination and energy! My favorite project was a tie between the playroom and bedroom closet. No doubt 2022 will offer new ways for you to design and create home environments that are a delight to see.
Here’s to 2022 and a Happier New Year!
Jenna Sue says
I can’t believe those were the only room reveals — such a slow year, hah! There will be a ton coming in 2022 though. Happy new year to you!